The Story Behind the Name
A recent resident to Montville, on learning about our Ecumenical Dawn Easter Service at George Carpenter Place, asked; “Where’s that and who is George Carpenter?”
It made the MHG realise that there are so many stories encapsulated in our place names.
The story behind George Carpenter Place, therefore, is the first story in a series that captures the history of many of Montville’s Place Names. George Carpenter Place is located opposite Razorback House and beside the parking area that ends at Razorback Lookout.
George Carpenter was born in Melbourne in 1908. He moved to London with his parents in 1911 and completed his education there. He was an Associate of the Royal College of Art and became the first Edwin Austin Abbey Scholar for Mural Painting in 1927.
He joined the Salvation Army in 1936 and served in the United Kingdom, Germany and Holland before returning to Australia. His mission with the Salvation Army included 5 years of ‘youth work’; becoming a Foundation Member and first President of The Child and Family Welfare Council of Australia.
In 1959, George and his wife, Olive, purchased a half acre block on the Razorback Road east of the Montville Village Hall from the Salvation Army which had built ‘barracks’ there in 1897. These barracks became the first Church for the new Razorback Settlement and the Anglican and Methodist congregations also held their early services there until it was destroyed in a cyclone in 1903, Church services were then transferred later that year to the new Montville School of Arts Hall (now the Montville Village Hall). The land owned by the Salvation Army had remained vacant for years.
Lieutenant – Colonel George Raymond Carpenter became a renowned lecturer for the Salvation Army, conducting lecture tours across Europe, Asia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Australia. At the same time, he and his wife, Olive, took up permanent residence in Montville in 1976, and immediately committed to their new community. In 1977, he proposed the first Ecumenical Carols by Candlelight, Christmas celebration: an event that had its 40th birthday last Christmas. (2017) Then in 1978, he organized the first Ecumenical Dawn Easter Service at Razorback Lookout: its 40th birthday is this Easter (2018).
George also joined the Montville Progress Association in 1977, becoming its President from 1981 to 1984. Under his leadership, the Association saw the preservation of the Village Green and the restoration of the Montville Village Hall and the St. Mary’s Community Hall. In many ways, George Carpenter set a trend for retiring professionals to seek out the sense of community offered by village life and commit to supporting the community that they had adopted.
The Razorback Lookout still exists although it is sorely in need of some restoration. However, the naming of the area opposite Razorback House that hosts our Easter Dawn service, George Carpenter Place, is a most fitting recognition and acknowledgement of his contribution to our community, the community of Montville.
by MHG from interview notes compiled by Stephanie McLennan.
The Story Behind the Name – T. H. Brown Park
T.H. Brown Park is situated between the bus stop beside the Montville State School and Main Street opposite the Masonic Lodge. (Corner Razorback Road and Main Street)
T.H. Brown Park was originally located in the southern end of the Montville State School playground but has been relocated to its present position as part of the Montville Village Green open space. It is now part of the original road reserve of which the village green is a part. This is a fitting location as T.H. Brown worked tirelessly on improving Montville’s road both physically and as a councillor.
Thomas Henry Brown moved to Montville in 1914 on marrying Ruby Dart on 23rd September. He managed his father-in-law’s property and became very involved in his new community. He was very active in the Methodist Church; joined the Rural Fire Brigade; was a founding member of the Bowling Club and became a trustee and guarantor of the Montville Sports and Recreation Ground. He was elected a councillor of Maroochy Shire Council and was patron of the Montville Rugby League Club.
T.H. Brown died in Montville in 1966.
Read other articles about or by T.H.Brown by typing his name into ‘search’ on the home page.