THE MONTVILLE CAFÉ BAR AND GRILL
The site of the Montville Cafe Bar and Grill was once part of the farm owned by Alfred and Harriet Bowser in 1900. Their home was called Lilydale and became Kingston, then later Mayfield Guesthouse when it was purchased by Monty Dart. It burnt down in the late 1930s.
Monty Dart cut off 37 acres of his original land and built a new home, Braemar, (just north of The Montville Mountain Inn) for his family. By the early 1930s he had a gladioli nursery of 6 acres with 300 varieties and 250000 bulbs. The Montville Golf Club leased land from Monte and was officially opened in June 1932 with 20 members.
John Hargreaves purchased 3.5 acres of the original property in 1982 when it still had the potting sheds from the days of the gladioli nursery and a cream brick veneer two-storey house with aluminium frame windows. John developed 10 units and then converted the house to the Montville Mountain Inn Restaurant when no other businesses were interested in opening at night. Another 16 units were added. In 2008 the Purcell family leased the property and created Montville Café Bar and Grill.