This web site was created by the volunteer members of the Montville Historical Group. We are currently focusing on the evolution of Montville, Flaxton and Hunchy and will be adding more stories and photographs as time goes by.
If you have photos, stories, family histories or recollections to share about Hinterland districts including Montville, Flaxton, Balmoral and Hunchy we would love to hear from you.
Contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
You can use the search field below to search the whole of site or simply access via the navigation bar at the top. Enjoy!
This Month – November – Armistice Day 11 Nov. marks the cessation of hostilities between the Allies of WWI and Germany. This year the Montville community with funding assistance from Council restored the sandstone pillars that along with the iron gate and curved fencing form the Memorial Gate that pays tribute to those who participated, or tried to participate in WWI. 2021 is the Centenary of the erecting of Montville’s Memorial Gate.
– Book 3 in the Montville Stories Series is now available – Fifty Years of Change – Make it a thoughtful Christmas present for anyone with a connection to Montville.
- Can a young “Greek Bride” become a leader in a small community? Ask Margaret Farmer!
- Can an “hysterical housewife” stop a national development company in its tracks? Ask Deb Davis!
- Can a young Canadian business woman save a school community? Ask Karen Barnett!
- Can a girl from the bush write history for ordinary people? Ask Gillie Warren!
- Can two pommies create a culture of art-tourism in a small community? Ask John and Beryl Davies
- Are there any men in this book? A couple, and they have strong partners!
Find out about people you’ve never heard of as well as those you thought you knew – they’re some of the people who have shaped our Montville of today. Cost: $20 Available at Montville Post Office or order online from our website.
Next Month – Some Christmas Stories from bygone times in Montville and Flaxton.